Foods your dog should never eat

Foods dogs shouldn't eat

As most canine owners know, dogs aren’t often all too fussy about what they eat and will happily turn their big, brown puppy eyes on you when they want a bite of whatever you are eating - whether it is good for them or not! And because of their willingness to chow down on almost anything, it can be easy to forget that not only are some foods not good for your dog, a fair few can be extremely dangerous!

So, while sharing may be caring, before you break off a piece of whatever you are eating and pass it to your persistently hungry four-legged friend, read on to find out which foods your dog should never eat no matter how hard they try to convince you otherwise!

Chocolate

Thankfully, most people now realize that chocolate is extremely dangerous to dogs. All chocolate (yes, even the white kind!) contains Theobromine, a chemical which can cause your dog to suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. It also acts as a heart stimulant and can cause tremors, seizures and even death.

Milk & Dairy Products

Dogs and dairy do not mix well either, and milk and milk-based products can cause your dog to suffer from digestive issues. They are also responsible for triggering food allergies. So, while ice-cream may be off limits, you could freeze some dog treats in water to create fur-friendly cool snacks in the summer.

Caffeine

While you may need a coffee to get you going in the morning, we guarantee your pooch needs no such stimulation. Caffeine can be fatal to dogs, whatever form it is in. Ensure that coffee, tea and energy drinks are kept well out of reach. Caffeine is also present in some pain relief and cold medications, and while you may have medications locked away, we often forget about tablets we may have left in our pockets, bags or purses. Dogs won’t hesitate to go through your stuff if you leave it lying around, so take care to put them away.

Alcohol

Alcohol consumption will affect your dog’s liver and brain, and even just a tiny amount can be dangerous for them. Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, breathing difficulties and even death can all occur because of a dog ingesting anything containing alcohol.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener that is found in a wide range of products including toothpaste, gum, candy, baked goods and even some diet foods. However, if ingested by your canine companion it can be extremely dangerous, causing blood sugars to plummet, vomiting, lethargy and seizures. The liver is also affected and liver failure can occur in just a few days.

Persin

Avocados contain a fungicidal toxin called Percin, which if consumed in large quantities, can cause your dog to become very sick. You should take particular care if you grow avocados at home as the toxin can be found in the seed, leaves and bark in addition to the fruit itself.

Garlic and Onion

Many people use garlic and/or onion when they cook a meal, but leftovers that include these ingredients are not safe to give your dog. Powdered, raw, cooked or dehydrated, both garlic and onion can cause severe anemia in your pet, with immediate symptoms including vomiting and breathlessness.

Grapes and Raisins

Even in small quantities, grapes and raisins can make your dog very sick. Frequent vomiting, sluggishness and seizures are common side effects of grape or raisin consumption, and in some instances, kidney failure can occur.

Plums, Peaches and Persimmons

As humans, we know that eating the pits and seeds from fruit can make us unwell. However, your dog won’t show such discretion! Seeds from persimmons can block the intestine while the pits from peaches and plums contain Cyanide, which can be fatal if ingested.

Of course, despite efforts to keep our pets as safe as possible, it is impossible to watch them 24/7. If your dog starts behaving strangely, or you have any reason to believe that he may have consumed something that he shouldn’t have, contact your Live Oak veterinarian, Country Veterinary Clinic, immediately to obtain advice. Alternatively, you can get in touch with the Animal Poison Control Center by calling their helpline on (888) 426 4435.

Macadamia Nuts

Muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperatures and muscle weakness are common symptoms of macadamia nut consumption in dogs. Whether eaten standalone or within another product, just six nuts can sufficiently harm your pet. If your dog has eaten chocolate containing macadamia nuts, symptoms will appear heightened and may even lead to death.

Bones

Bones have a reputation as being a great treat for dogs, but the reality is that they can easily splinter and cause your pet harm. Dogs have been known to choke on small fragments of bone, and sharp pieces can block, cut or even puncture the throat or digestive system.


If you have any questions about these potenially harmful foods, call Country Veterinary Clinic today at 530-491-4500, and we will answer any questions.